Saturday, January 12, 2013

My ramblings on motherhood

I love being a mother.  I find great joy in being the beloved mommy to my 3 kids.  When I arrive home after working a late shift, Brogan runs up screaming screams of joy as soon as he sees me and gives me the biggest love ever.  Little Brig, his eyes light up and he comes crawling to me at lightning speed.  If Taylor is there, she is trying to beat Brogan to get to me first.  It is always such a warm welcome. 

Then....... they NEVER leave me alone again, well, at least the two boys.  We are permanently attached to each other.  I must be made of Velcro and have a GPS device installed subcutaneously.  If I get up to use the bathroom, they follow. If I try to cook dinner, they are under my feet.  If I try to have a conversation with my sweet husband, it is rudely interrupted several times.  If I receive a phone call, the person on the other end probably thinks I run a zoo, due to the background noise level directed at me.  Oh, but I love being a mother.....

I love being the super hero mommy..... the one that can fix anything, find anything (usually), help with homework, color Scooby-Do the best, give the snuggles that can help tame the pain of teething, and do the night time tuck in routine the best.  But really?!.....they have a dad.  A great Dad, an awesome Dad, a very hand-on, loving, fun, amazing Dad.  He can fix anything, find anything (usually), help with homework, color Scooby-Do better than me, and definately gives the best snuggles and can tuck kids in like a champ!  Sometimes I have to remind them.... like when I am across the room doing dishes, Dad is sitting right there 6 inches away, but I still hear "Mom-what is this?"......"Mom-can you help me?"..... "Mom, Mom, MOM!" 
Jared just looks at me and giggles and tries to step in and help.  I love being a mommy.....

I know that I am sounding very sarcastic and pointing out some of the frustrating moments of motherhood, but I really do love it.  The other night, as my house was in its nightly full swing of chaos, I looked around and smiled........
Jared and I were cooking dinner together, Brig was redistributing the magnetic alphabet throughout the house, Taylor was doing math homework, and Brogan was Batman and saving the household from peril.  It was great.  It felt cozy, it felt good, it felt right.  I looked over at Jared and told him that I loved him and that I loved our life, then leaned over for a kiss, while dodging stepping on little fingers under toe.  It truly was great.

I enjoy being that special person in these little lives.  I look forward to the stories that they will tell when they are adults of "Remember when Mom......", or "Remember what Mom and Dad would always say......". I cherish the fact the these little people need me so much and in times of fear, or pain, or heartache they look at me for comfort.  In times of joy and happiness they look at me for celebration.  I just love being a mommy.....

There is no greater job than the job of a mother.  There is no harder job than the job of a mother (parent).  There is also no more rewarding job than he job of a parent.  I just hope and pray every day that I am making the right choices and decisions as a mother to these precious souls.  I want to raise them up to be responsible, honest, caring adults.  I hope Jared and I, an amazing team, can look back in 30 years and be proud of the kids we have raised.

I know that motherhood doesn't go away once my kids are adults.  I know that I am still a sweet little girl in my parents eyes.  I know that Jared is still the mischevious toe-headed boy he once was in his parents eyes. I know that our parents worry about us, pray for us, and are still such a huge part in our lives.  We still run to them in times of need, fear, heartache, joy, and celebration. As an adult I still have to call my mom, and my mother-in-law for mothering advice and life advice.  I look forward to my journey as a mother continuing on to adult children and grandchildren.  In my eyes Taylor will still be my sweet little girl, Brogan my brown eyed sweetheart, and Brig my toe-headed little man.  I just love being a mother.......

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Well said dear sister. Well said. You and Jared ARE an amazing team. Love you so much.

Anonymous said...

You said it all, and said it great.
Ya summed it all up,in a awesome way.
Mom

MeriAnn said...

I so agree-everyday! Cute post!