Seriously, what is the deal with maternity clothes?

Am I the first prego chick that has wanted to cry when thinking about getting dressed? I am at that beautiful stage where my normal (cute, fitting, long enough, nice butt) pants no longer will do up. It is quite sad. So it on to maternity pants. The clothing industry can have a little credit, they have upgraded since the era of our mothers. Pants now have an "unde- the-belly panel" that consists of just a little panel on complete low rise pants; there is the "medium panel" that is just a mini-me version of the last one on the list; the "giant-holy crap-serious-chunk-of-fabric sewn-on-the-front-of-pants panel".
I made an order from Old Navy.com and it came last night. The pants I got were the "under the belly panel" kind. They were the only ones that Old Navy had in long. I don't need to be pregnant AND wearing floods. They are actually kinda cute, Jared even thought so, although he is learning to be very generous with the compliments. So I was wearing them around and alas, I have to pee, so I go up the stairs and viola! my pants have lowered themselves around my hips to the point that I look like a very hot, wanna be gangsta girl, in maternity pants, with the whale tail of my underpants hanging out. Could be because secretly the pants are low-rise, which are not workable on my body. Nice! Looking good Tori. So those are put away until I get big enough to hold them up, which means I have NO pants still, cause my normal ones don't fit! I don't have the option some women have, of wearing their husbands pants for awhile--have you seen how skinny my husband is? I haven't been that size since 7th grade! Give me a break!
On to the shirt that I ordered. The one that arrives was not the one that I thought I was getting, the one I ordered was at least kinda cute--this garment is seriously the gray colored replica of my brother-in-laws canvas wall tent!! That is how I felt. It was very square shaped, but had a flair at the bottom where it went even wider!! The only thing that could possibly save this shirt is the fact that the neckline is quite low, so at least I can show off my ginormous ta-tas!
To say the least, I had a great night. Laying on my bed, with my pants down around my hips with a shirt on big enough to hold me, my mom, my sister, my husband all in sleeping bags quite comfortably. Seriously, do I need to have my own little business venture and make some decent maternity clothes that aren't so damn expensive that you go broke trying to look cute while growing to an enormous size?!


15 comments:
OH MY HELL,,,, I thought i was gonna pee my pants laughing, while reading your story,,,even now i am still giggling,,, writing thru the tears running down my face.
I know its not funny to you,,, but dang girl,,you are hilarious. Hang in there,,, good news! your belly is only continue to grow, and soon those pants will fit.
I feel bad for ya, because of the clothes situation,,, just be glad its only a few months out of your life time,,,( i know that does not help either) BIG HUGGS!
Hey Tori...I don't know if you have heard about the elastic trick. It works for those first couple of weeks where you are in between normal and maternity clothes. Put an elastic through your button hole and then fasten it around the fastener. Only problem is that you have to wear a long enough shirt to cover that your zipper is undone :)Good luck and just realize that soon enough even your maternity clothes won't be big enough!
Yep, I remember doing the elastic thing too, except i used a shoelace.
Tori..you have no idea who I am (Joe's wife, Matt's friend from vet school). Anyway, I just had a baby 6 months ago so maternity clothes are still fresh in my mind. You MUST get a bella band. They are awesome. Just google bella band. I had one in white, black, and brown. They are life savers!
Also try Noppies jeans. They have adjustable elastic in the waistband and sit below your belly. Totally trendy and don't look at all like maternity jeans. I couldn't stand those things with the "panel". YUCK!
Good Luck!!
I have some orange Husquarna suspenders that I don't use, i am sending them on Fedex overnight. You will be amazed at how well your pants will stay up! You have to wear them to Home Depot for me tho and I want a picture as proof.
(I remember your mom when she started to get to big for her britches too.)She was HOT!!
When Lisa was preg with the twins she went and bought a pair of pants that were a size or two bigger than normal and fit her loose for right now. After she had the baby it worked perfect because for the month or two after the baby, when you can't fit in to anything, she had those jeans to wear. Hang in there...Mindy (Wait until child three when the first second your pregnant your clothes no longer fit!)
Dad... GAME ON!!!!
Was that Mike Crane?? If it was, Hi Mike!
Whoops, Never mind,,,That was Mini talkin,,,, I thought it was Mike talkin about Lisa,,, and telling Mindy to hang in there,,Dang,,,,, I scare myself at times.
First of all your parents are hallarious!!!! I gained 6o punds with my first two and 80 with mylast. They came out with the low rise on my last baby. I hated them!!!! Either I was to small in the begining or to large in the end. They just kept slippping down. And that sweet panel in front....you can't escape it. I also used a hair rubber band on the button hole and if you take your zipper and point it downwards, it locks it in place even if you are only zipped half way up. Good Luck! I am sure you are so cute that you could pull off wearing anything.
Toe, I think the orange suspenders would make an amazing fashion statement in Utah County. Do it girl, I dare ya!
Lindsay, you got me so interested I had to go google bella band, VERY cool!
You think I can't take a dare!?! If orange suspenders show up at my house I WILL wear them to Home Depot and take pics to prove it!! I ain't scared!
You all hear that trash talk? I'll make her post those pictures!!
Just a quick note here,, Marion is feverishly looking for those suspenders,,,,, LOL
I am off to work to work today,,, Have a good day.
tori by the way
those old navy pant will always wear like that no mater how big you belly gets. I still am wearing my regular pant I just button them up and pull them up as far as they will go and wear a long shirt over the top. anyways I only have weeks to go so I happen to have a few clothes you could borrow lots of summer ones. Just remember through the whole clothes struggle you get a cute babe at the end.
By the way I think the suspenders are the way to go.
Amanda
Post a Comment