Jason Brig Elwell
August 19, 2011
3:55 pm
8 lbs. 9 oz. 22 inches
My actual due date was August 21, but i decided to pick the 19th as an induction date if the little man hadn't made his appearance yet. I had mixed feelings about being induced, but as all women know, there comes a time where we say GET THIS BABY OUT OF ME!!!
That time definately came, so I was happy to have a light at the end of the tunnel. I just hoped and prayed that all went well.
The hospital called me at 6:30 a.m. and told me to be there in an hour. I do not care how prepared you might think you are, 10 million things 'to do' are running through your head as you walk out the door. My parents had come up the night before, so my mom could attend the birth.
We arrived at the hospital after a quick detour through McDonald's drive-thru for breakfast. They got me checked in and ready to go.
Here I am in all my pregnancy glory!!!
At about 9, they brought in the pitocin and got it going. The belly monitor showed some contractions before that, but they were not painful. I was checked and at a 3.
I had some really cool nurses that appreciated my humor. We all got along great. We made bets with them for the time of delivery and the weight of the baby. As you can see, Grandma was a bit excited and wanted Brig out NOW!
At around 11:30ish the lady came in and put in my epidural. My doctor wanted that in before he broke my water. The pitocin had started to give me some stronger contractions, but nothing too hard to handle. After I got settled in and all numb, Dr. Melendez came in and broke my water.
Whoa! I make A LOT of water. He had to jump back a bit so as not to get soaked. I soaked their measly attempt at putting towels down, I soaked my bed up to my waist. Needless to say, Brig had an awesome swimming pool while he was growing inside me.
The day went on and the contractions got stronger, the only way I knew was by the monitor. They checked me again around 2:30 and I was a 6. A lowly 6 in my mind.When I delivered Brogan I was a 6 when I got there and it still took 10 hours to get him out. So I told my mom and Jared that I wanted to take a quick nap. They helped position my numb body on my side a little. Jared started playing solitaire and my mom was reading her book. Pretty soon, there was the "pressure" the nurses told me to tell them about when I felt it. I could definately feel it with each contraction.
I started to cry. I have no idea why, because it wasn't painful at all. I can just describe it as pressure and opening. I could feel it opening. Immediately the book and cards got put away. I told them to let me have a few more of these, don't alarm the nurses cause I was just at a 6.
Just as I decided it was time to get the nurses, they came in. I told them how I was feeling so they checked me. I was a 9+ and it was time to get the doctor. Luckily, he was pretty close by.
They broke down the bed and got everything ready. Dr. Melendez came in and gave me my instructions. Before he could finish telling me that I needed to tuck my chin down, the next contraction came and I was pushing. I pushed 3 times on that contraction. He told me that the next contraction would be it. It came and I pushed 4 times and he was here. It was such a great feeling. I was able to watch Jared cut the cord this time. After I delivered the placenta, I felt so good, I even said, "I feel so skinny now!!".
And then they put my sweet boy in my arms.
What a great feeling that is. He felt so light to me. I held him for a few minutes then they took him to clean him up and weigh him while Dr. Melendez finished with me.
We were able to stay for quite awhile in the delivery room with him, because everyone apparantly delivered about the same time and the nursery was overwhelmed with babies.Jared went down with Brig for his bath and all the nursery fun, my mom stayed with me.
My awesome Dad took my other kids to the zoo that day with Rachel and her kids. I can't thank him enough for doing that, as I am sure it was a bit hectic.
I still had my IV in, and Brogan was worried about me. He kept asking if I was okay. He was a bit concerned that I was sleeping over in the hopsital that night. He kept trying to wake the baby up by prying his eyes open and sayind "cock a doodle doo!!" to him. Taylor was in love with him and didn't want to let anyone else hold him or to go home.
My awesome Dad took my other kids to the zoo that day with Rachel and her kids. I can't thank him enough for doing that, as I am sure it was a bit hectic.
Once we got into my room on Mother/Baby he brought the kids over to meet their new brother.
I still had my IV in, and Brogan was worried about me. He kept asking if I was okay. He was a bit concerned that I was sleeping over in the hopsital that night. He kept trying to wake the baby up by prying his eyes open and sayind "cock a doodle doo!!" to him. Taylor was in love with him and didn't want to let anyone else hold him or to go home.We said our goodbyes and my mom and dad took Brogan with them for a few days and Jared took Taylor back to her moms. Then Jared came back and it was such a nice evening together.
I made him climb in my bed with me, even though there is not enough room, and I laid my head on his shoulder while he held our new little boy. Life couldn't get anymore perfect.
I stayed that night in the hospital and had had enough. I asked the nurse when I could leave. I kind of rushed everyone to get me out of there, but I was not going to spend one more night in that bed.
I stayed that night in the hospital and had had enough. I asked the nurse when I could leave. I kind of rushed everyone to get me out of there, but I was not going to spend one more night in that bed.
We checked out around 5:30 p.m. on Saturday and went home.
(sorry it's sideways)






6 comments:
Tori, he's adorable for sure! Great day! I am impressed with you. What a woman!
yea, congratulations!! he is so darling and what a beautiful, perfect, thoughtful name for him! hope you can get some rest!
So adorable! I loved the cock a doodle do part and then the rest of the post made me tear up! I want to hold him please!
He is so amazing! Congrats!
PS.......love the name.
He is so precious! Congratulations!
tori! congratulations on your baby! i heard the news from my dad, who is pretty much the slowest newsboy ever. hope you're doing well!
Post a Comment