Last night, my neighbor had some friends over for a BBQ and to enjoy a campfire. Being a neighbor for over 10+ years means that some of his friends have become my friends. After I got home from work and got the boys to bed, Jared and I went over to say hi and have a drink or two. I looked around at the couples and knew all of them, but one. I didn't want to be rude, but I was a bit taken back by the one I didn't know.
Then someone said his name, and my heart sank and broke into a million pieces. Of course I knew him! I had known him for a long time. I just didn't recognize him. He has been battling cancer. His body is a shell of its former self.
Tyson is my age. 33 years old. He was diagnosed with colon cancer a little over a year ago. He had no symptoms other than back pain. When they diagnosed him he was already at stage 4 and estimate he has had it for 10 years.
He is only 33 years old.
He has 2 little boys and an amazing wife.
He sat by the campfire with his beautiful wife, enjoying time with friends. He has had a few close calls where they thought it was his time to go. He didn't say much last night while I was there. He has a morphine pump which he can push the button every 15 minutes. I could tell he was in a lot of pain. The cancer had spread to his liver and bones before he even knew he had it. Even with the pain and fatigue, he wanted to spend a few minutes with his friends. You see, Tyson was always the life of the party. He always had a twinkle in his eye, a big cheesy smile, and made everyone feel comfortable. Just a big, loveable teddy bear kind of a guy.
The reason I am writing about this is because through all of his struggles and pain, he is an inspiration to me. I think I might have given up by now, but not Tyson, he has plans. Plans for the future. He wants to get massive amounts of fireworks and have the best fireworks show this 4th of July. He has put in for the draw on hunting permits. He wants to go and do and play and have fun.
His spirit is strong though his body is weak.
He has lost 120 pounds. His body truly is a shell of its former self. Just trying to stand up out of a chair causes him excruciating pain. His liver has shut down. His body is that of a sick man, but his soul is that of a vibrant young man with the world in his palm.
I can only hope that I could have the outlook that he has had in his situation. I am sure he has had his bad days, and mad days, and fits of "why me?"
He has taught me to stop. Enjoy the simple things.
That is what he says, "enjoy the simple things". Like sitting around a campfire with friends.
Even though my heart continued to break as we sat there with Tyson, it did swell up too. This man was surrounded by his friends and his beautiful bride enjoying the spring evening, even as death is knocking. He was enjoying the simple things.
I am going to try to learn from sweet Tyson. To stop and enjoy. As they were leaving to go home, I gave him a hug. I don't know if I will see him again, given that his "good days" are getting fewer and farther apart, but I hope that he knows he has touched everyones heart by his amazing spirit.
I will enjoy the simple things.
Paul and Tamara
13 years ago


3 comments:
What a great post Tori! Miss you!
That made me cry, big tears that were not pretty. So so so sweet. Thanks for the reminder.
Wow. Very heart breaking. Made me cry. What a awesome example he is. I would say, you are very lucky to know this man.
Mom
Post a Comment