I finally broke down and did it......
I went shopping for maternity clothes.
It was getting really scary and depressing every morning getting dressed. There was not many options, especially if the laundry pile had been neglected. So, I decided to bite the bullet and go.
I took Taylor with me for moral support. She spent most of the time in the jewelry section. That did me alot of good. But I did drag her into the dressing room area with me to give me her "honest opinion" when it came time to try on my finds.
While perusing through the very tiny maternity section at Kohls, I found humor in a few things.
The first thing that I found funny was that the "infant" clothing section abutted and spilled over into the maternity section. Are they trying to show up what our next purchases are going to be?
Or maybe when we leave the maternity section in tears, we find ourselves surrounded by darling pajama sets and onsies to make us feel better and still spend money.
There is one warning though, if you try to exit the maternity section going the other way, you will find yourself in the "old lady" section. Now I know that there is not a hanging sign above this section that specifies it as the "old lady" section, but it clearly is. If you are in tears and are blinded by the sadness spilling forth out of your eyes, you will not realize you have entered the old lady section because sadly, much of the fabric prints in the maternity section and the old lady section are very similar.
Too similar.
So I have formed a hypothesis. Isn't that a fun word. If you remember in like 6th grade, hypothesis means "an educated guess". My hypothesis is that the clothing industry has no idea of the demographics of pregnant people.
Given my shopping trip to Target a few months back, I proved they clearly think only short, tiny people get knocked up. Now, after visiting Kohls, I have come to the conclusion that they believe there must be a demand for maternity clothes for the older, more mature generation. You know, the women that like blouses (old lady word) that look like a floral patch vomited all over it. Or the ladies that wear the polyester tops that have crazy, jacked-up, bright designs on them. Now, I love that generation to pieces, but the fashion differences between the ages are apparent. Let's not cross the line here people.
I found a few pieces that were decent looking, some I would even say was cute. So off to the dressing room we went! I told Taylor that I needed her honest opinion. She gave me a scared look....now why would any 9 year old be scared to give a 30 week pregnant mommy their honest opinion?
She only told me she didn't like one pair of shorts. They weren't my favorite by any means, but they actually fit! She said they were too short, which made me giggle cause I have shorter maternity shorts in my closet, and I secretly know it's because she doesn't want my back of thigh cottage cheese hanging out. So I didn't buy them.
There was this one dress. I giggled when I put it on. I contemplated even showing her, but I did. And she giggled too..... and now everyone we see, she says, "my mom tried on this one dress......" yeah, you get the drift.
I walked out of there with 2 new capris that are definately long enough to cover my cottage cheese to please Taylor. I also bought 4 shirts and not one of them is covered in a floral arrangement or crazy designs! Taylor was awarded for her honesty with some new clothes too.
Thankfully, I have found something to cover my growing body that is fit for public. I have thought of wrapping up in my shower curtain, but I think I would sweat and then the plastic would stick to me and I would probably start to stink by the end of the day.
Paul and Tamara
13 years ago


7 comments:
Lol, are you sure you don't want to write a newspaper or magazine column during your maternity leave. I am telling you, you would sell.
But gals you found some clothes. The shower curtain does not too comfy.
Oh hell, I messed up a few words there. Sorry
Tori, I love your way of finding funny in everything! Since I am, for the first time in many years, finally able to actually fit into clothes that are NOT in the old lady section, I can tell you why those clothes are next to the maternity section - it's because many of us, unfortunately, can't even fit into the old lady section clothes and it's a nice way of allowing a person who has an extra purse in front and bags in back to find something that fits. So when we get home with our find and discover it was for maternity, not fat, we can honestly say we didn't know .... See. Not built that way for the preggies, just for the oldies.
It seems so pointless to spend money on clothes that will be sent to DI in five months, but what would we ever do without those specially built clothes? I do have to say this - maternity clothes today are a whole lot cuter than the smocks and tents we wore back in the day. (Oops - just showed my age there. Yeah, I am that old.)
hee hee hee
My shower curtain has frogs and lily pads on it, sort of old ladyish if you ask me!
You crack me up, thanks for the smiles.
Smiles from me too!!!! At least you can find something more than the fabric pants with that awful elastic front, that would always show if you moved at all. Oh, yeah, and something other than the blouses (yes, I'm showing my age) that all looked like they were trying to be babydoll PJs, complete with puffy half-sleeves. Yuck!
Such good writing! also...good birth control. Thank you for that. I am sticking with a dog and a horse for children, since my clothes will all still fit! (at leas for a few more years, then I will contemplete kids)
Post a Comment