Thursday, August 23, 2007

Top 5 Places

I was thinking about some of the places that I have been, so I decided to make a post about the top 5 places that I have been. They are not in any order of importance, cause that is too hard to do. So here they are.
St. Lucia--my all time fave island in the Caribbean. I am not sure why I am so fond of it, cause all the islands are amazing. I love St. Lucia because it is so green and lush. It was one of the nicer islands, ie; cleanliness and the people. It has some of the most beautiful views of the Pitons, two mountain peaks on the island. Plus, when I was there we went dolphin watching, which completely made my day to see those animals darting around the boat. Plus, they make really great locally brewed beer called Piton beer. Best part is--I am going back in January!
Seward, Alaska--Loved it!! I went to Anchorage--but we took a day trip over to Seward. It was a quaint little fishing town right on the water. It was in August, so it was warm--probably 70 degrees for the high. While we were there they were having a fishing tournament, cause the King Salmon were running. It was cool to see all the fisherman gutting and prepping these huge fish. We went on a wildlife catamaran trip--yeah it sounds touristy--and we saw bears, otters, dolphins, and whales! We even got to see one flip it's tail up out of the water--so amazing. We rode over to a glacier--can't remember the name--spectacular colors--all the blue hues coming out and the the silt in the water made it look cool. The glacier made really loud popping noises when the ice broke off.
Neff's Reservoir-- It is a little pond down where my mom and dad live. The only way to access it is 4-wheelers, horses, or on foot. It it so serene there. The water is surrounded by aspen trees. There are beavers that live up there and it is interesting to see their work. It is so sublimely quiet when you are there--no noises except for nature. It is one of my favorite places because I hold memories from going there with family and cousins. I guarantee you can find a tree carved with the names of about everyone in my family, ancestors and present.
Fishlake/Johnson Res.-- another favorite from home. I love to drive up there in the fall when the colors are in full force. I love to go up past Mill Meadow, over to Johnsons, and around to Fishlake and back home. The most beautiful drive, especially in the fall. There are aspen trees, and pine trees, and oak brush. Every fall color you can imagine. If you are lucky enough to get there at the right time you can see the aspen heart. It is a natural occuring spot of trees shaped like a heart that all turn deep red, while the surrounding treese turn yellow or orange. The reflection of the trees in the water is so beautiful.
Grand Cayman--sorry, had to go back the the Caribbean! I loved Grand Cayman because it is beautiful in a different way than St. Lucia. This island is flatter, and more of the typical beach island. The turquoise water on the white sand beaches are breathtaking. When we were there we went and swam with stingrays. That is an experience! To have these massive fish come swimming right up to you, rubbing on your sides, going between your legs, so cool! I really didn't like feeding them--kinda freaked me out, their mouths suck pretty hard. Plus if you get the smell of the squid anywhere else on your body, they will come and try to suck it off! Grand Cayman was my favorite stop on my last cruise.

Comment-and tell me your own top 5 places!

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Do I go anywhere exotic? No. Your descriptions should be in a tourist pamphlet!! You are good with words.
Okay, not a lot of time to ponder this, but here it goes, in no particular order.
1. Japanese Gardens in Portland, Oregon
2. Lake Loiuse near Banff in Canada, (Alberta I think)
3. Any beach - but Gold Beach in Oregon and the beach in Mazatlan, Mexico were super
4. Monroe Mountain in the fall with the elk bugling is awesome
5. mom and dads back deck

Thanks for brain workout!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Rachel, Your descriptions were awesome.

Anonymous said...

Awsome places! I would love to go to the Caribbean Islands. Maybe some day. And I love to fish so maybe I could learn something from you all. Ok, so my top five favorite places I have been are:
1. Austria-I really learned a lot from the Hoolicost Concetration camps. Definitly humbling. I enjoyed seeing the original Austrain Castle that Disneyland was mirored (sp?) after.
2.England-I loved living in England for six years in a little british villiage with it's own Pub and Cricket team with one little store. It was all surronded with 3 feet stone walls and rolling green hills. Beautiful country side!
3.Scootland-The Castles were AMAZING and the cold foggy rocky beaches were neat.
4.Mountains-I love anywhere in the mountains with Pine tree's and Aspens and Fishing is a mojor bonus!
5.Kentucky-I must say KY will always be home and I love the country side and back roads with white fences and of course horses in the field.

Rachel said...

Amanda, you sure make it sound good too. When are we headed over the seas? I would LOVE to see a few castles! AS for the green hills and horses, I could totally do that too.