There are too many everyday things that we take for granted or don't realize how much we enjoy. It's the little things in life that mean the most. I think that most people, at least I do, get so caught up in life that we forget to "stop and smell the roses".
I know that I need to pause for a minute and see, really see, the simple things in my life that make it mine, and help me be who I am, me.
"Too often we are so preoccupied with the destination, we forget the journey."
Here is a list of some of my simple pleasures in life.
** The sound of my kids giggling together.
** The habit of standing in front of a fireplace, whether it is winter or summer. Anyone who grew up with one automatically stands in front of it when you go home to your parents.
** The smile on Brogans face when he wakes up and sees me standing there.
** Chocolate paired with an ice cold Diet Coke.
** The sound of my husband breathing when he sleeps.
** Brogan's little pointer finger on his left hand pointing at me or something he sees.
** The smell and taste of my coffee in the morning.
** Brogan's skin; it's so soft and pure and innocent. I can't help but rub it and touch it.
** Clean sheets.
** Taylor running up and giving me a big hug and thanking me for something small like a new bag of Doritos, or bubblegum, or a suprise bowl of ice cream.
** Jared's skin; his contagious laugh; the way he smells; his blue eyes....
** The sound of the ocean. I wish I could indulge that pleasure more often.
** The creak of the bed when Taylor crawls in with us in the morning, trying to be sneaky.
** The sound of Brogan babbling away in the back seat while we are driving. I am going to miss that.
** The smell of methanol gas (Jared's race car).
** Inside jokes that I share with my family. Like wood eye - peg leg - big nose; dolphins at 2 o'clock; and caaaa sssaaaawww. (we are a unique bunch)
** Laughter.
** The smell and sound of a chainsaw.
** Freshly shaved legs.
** A glass of white zinfandel and a cigarette.
My list could go on forever.
I am going to try and enjoy my journey through life more..... relax, and enjoy all the little, simple pleasures in life.
Those are the things that really matter when it's all over.
Paul and Tamara
13 years ago


4 comments:
i totally have to agree with the standing in front of the fireplace when i go to my parents- summer or winter- i still do it!! I absolutley love the sound and smell of a chainsaw-especially if it is cutting wood!! YUM!!
Thanks, Tori, I really needed to hear that! Taking time to smell the roses isn't something I have been good at lately, but I guess sometimes you just need a little nudge. :)
I am so agreeing with the chainsaw thing, that is truly a simple indulgent pleasure!
We all need reminders, thanks.
The only thing better than chocolate and diet coke, is chocolate and COFFEE,,,, it makes the chocolate just melt in your mouth,,,,,yummmmmm!!!
As far as dolphins and 2:00,,, I just say, "OH MY HELL".
I myself, need to stop and smell the dang roses and COFFEE more, and appreciate all I have.
Post a Comment