Ok, ok, I know that Memorial Day was a few days ago, but I really wanted to get these thoughts down. We went down to my mom and dad's for the weekend, and out of the blue I just had a little thought, and I have been stewing on it for awhile. So I hope that I can get it across how I want to.
BTW-- fun pictures from the weekend are coming!
Memorial Day was originally designed to commemorate US men and women who died while in the military service. It had evolved a bit to include remembering all loved ones that we have lost, not just military personnel.
As people flock to cemetaries to pay their respects to lost loved ones, I looked at the circumstance of having a loved one gone a bit differently.
There is a correlation between the heart/soul of the living person who are grieving and the grave site itself.
When someone passes away, there is a huge empty space or hole left in those who loved that person. At that time a hole is dug in the earth to place the body in their final resting place.
The hole is filled in, but it is not right; it's not how it previously was. The dirt does not go in just how it came out. Just like life after losing someone is not right. Everything has changed and feels like a mess. The burial site is mounded up with dirt. The heart of the the grieving is so full of so many emotions; sadness, anger, disbelief, depression, etc.
After time the dirt settles and the mound slowly goes down. Time helps to heal the heart, but it is slow.
Next, the burial site is just a dirt spot, so raw and noticable against the beautiful lawn that surrounds it. The groundskeeper has not planted grass yet. The wound on the heart/soul of the people left to grieve is still very raw. It is noticable to those close.
After so much time has passed, the dirt flattens out and the grass has grown over the burial plot. There is a headstone placed as a monument for the person who passed away. The headstone will stand over time as a marker of that persons life and death.
No matter how much time passes after a loved one had died, there is always a mark left on the heart from that person. It will stand over time as a monument of that persons life and death. We can seem to finally move on with life, but it will never be the same and our deceased loved ones will never be forgotten; for they are forever marked on out heart.
So on this Memorial Day week, I hope that everyone can stop for a moment and remember loved ones we have lost; military personnel, family, and friends. Keep in mind that no matter what, losing someone will affect you forever.
But it's ok.
Take comfort in knowing that it means that you will never forget them. That they have marked your heart forever.
Paul and Tamara
13 years ago


2 comments:
I feel like something strange is happening to us.
Did you know that Stephenie Meyer's sister didn't hear from her for a few days so she called her up and wondered what was going on? Stephenie told her that she was writing a book about love and vampires. She had never written a book before.
It that what is going to happen to us? All of a sudden you are going to be writing a best selling book and take us all by surprise. Well, okay, not really surprised, but you know what I mean.
thanks for your thoughts...
they are amazing
I agree with Rach,,,Your mind amazes me, such deep thought provoking words.
It makes one stop and think about the whole death/burial thing,,, and what you said is so completly right.
But I could never, ever say it like you do. Are you sure your my daughter???
Post a Comment