Thursday, April 22, 2010

Little White Lies

This sweet, little girl is growing up way too fast! I am really having a hard time with it.

Case in point: She used the word touche' last night. I honestly have no idea how to spell it and my 8 year old used it, and used it correctly! I about choked on my food when it came out of her mouth though. I asked her if she knew what it meant and she admitted to not knowing. I explained it to her and told her good job for using it correctly.

Then, we got to have a discussion about kissing........

Why, oh why do I find myself in these sorts of situations?!

I am truly happy that she feels comfortable enough to talk to me about these things, but I usually end up lying through my teeth!

The conversation went something like this......

I guess she played a game with some girls and it told her 'kissing fortune' and that she was going to kiss a boy when she is 13 and he is 15. So I blurted out, "hope your ok that this boy will be buried in the west desert when you are done".

Yes, that came out of my mouth- so quick, before I could even stop it! Sadly, that was not the lying part!!

I proceeded to tell her that there is no good reason to be kissing boys at 13 (still not lying). Then I told her that I did not kiss a boy until I was 20 (sooooo lying) and that I expect the same from her. (totally not lying)

We had yet another discussion about her protective dad making visits to the desert..... and she asked if I ever kissed a boy behind my dads back. Of course, I told her no (lying), that he always knew about it after I kissed a boy, but that it didn't matter because shortly after I kissed a boy for the first time at 20, I got married to him. (only a partial lie--I did get married at 20).

What am I to do with my little sweetheart at 8 going on 18??

**Disclaimer: sorry Dad! I did kiss a boy at 13, it was Rocky Hallows behind the high school gym during a basketball game,and it was only because Aaron Wood pushed our head together. We apologized to each other afterwards. If I ever did kiss a boy after that you always told me that they were my cousin--good job on your part, but it totally sucked on my part!

3 comments:

mom said...

Oh my!
I am so glad I am thru raising kids, altho your story made me giggle,,Keep up with the good lies,she will figure it all out in time.

Jenny said...

YOU MAKE ME HAPPY! REALLY REALLY HAPPY!!! :)

Jessica said...

Liar liar pants on fire. :) You're right, she should wait until she's out of high school at least. I would love it if my little one's would do it too.