
My sweet Taylor is 7 years old. Such a young, innocent, fun age. I love her spunk, her creativity, and imagination. She is also at a very impressionable age. Things that may happen in her life right now, will affect her forever. We can try to keep her environment controlled, but some things are out of everyone's control.
Now, lets step back 48 years.
My mom was 7 years old. She was at a young, innocent, fun age. She had 2 older sisters, and 1 younger brother.
Then a tragedy affected her.
Her mother was killed in an accident.
I don't think that my mom fully understood what happened at that time. People were so taboo in talking honestly to kids then, that she was never given a decent explanation. She had to figure it out and put the pieces together for herself.
I can't imagine Taylor losing a parent right now in her life. She wouldn't understand it, just like my mom didn't. Taylor does have 2 moms and 2 dads in her life, so she would still have some people to support her.
My mom didn't.
My grandpa was a very gruff man. He didn't show his affection very well. He was a hard working man, and did his best to support his family. But he had 4 young kids to raise by himself.
My mom had to fend for herself most of the time. My grandpa did remarry 3 years after my grandma was killed. My mom did not get along with her and did not feel loved by her. They did not have a good relationship then.
Considering the childhood that my mom had, there are some crazy stories, my mom turned out exceptionally well. She has been married to the same man for 38 years, she has raised 3 kids, and I think she was a damn good mother.
She never had a good role model to watch to know how to be a good wife, to know how to be a great mom. She figured it out on her own.
She didn't have a mom to call when she had a sick baby and didn't know what to do.
She didn't have a mom to call when something great happened in her life, and she wanted to celebrate with someone.
She didn't have a mom to call when she was feeling sad or depressed about something and needed to talk.
She didn't have a mom to call when she got in a fight with my dad and just needed to vent.
She did do it on her own and did an amazing job. My mom is the best and grooviest mom that I could ever ask for. She is the perfect mom for us three kids, and she is the perfect wife and best friend for my dad.
Thank you mom, for being you. I often wonder how different things would be if grandma wouldn't have been killed that day. I am very sorry that you had a hard childhood and that I never got to meet my grandma, but I am very glad that you are the way you are.
So everyone who reads this....
Cherish your moms and the time that you get to spend with them. Not everyone is that lucky.
Cherish the time you get to be with your kids and the memories that you get to make. Remember that you do make a difference in their lives, and are very important to them.


10 comments:
Tori,,
I am not sure why you chose this as your topic,,but thanks!
Losing a parent at a young age, or any age for that matter,does affect people,,as does losing a sibling also.
As the tears are streaming down my face,,,I am smiling,and thinking,Yeah! I did turn out okay,considering all the junk I went thru.
Thanks for understanding,,,thanks for being YOU.
YES!!! Tori, you amaze me with you logic about life, one minute I am cussing those people who have nothing nice to say, then I am laughing at the things that I didn't realize could be funny, and of course there are the tears that are also streaming down my face, for the sentimenatl things that I didn't realize could come out of your sassy mouth!!! (Sassy in only the best way!) Your mom did turn out alright. The best Aunt ever!
The emotions you are evoking out of me day after day is killing me girl!
Love you mom, you are truly great.
The tears are rolling doen my face right now. I really think you missed your calling in life as a writer. You are great with words!
You truly are great with the use of word. Well, I wish a Happy birthday to Taylor.
Tori, I agrfee with you...your Mom is a fantastic person and you are lucky to have her. Your blog has some great stuff, girl, and this post is one of them!
"agrfee"??? Well, I'm a lawyer, not an editor.....
I think it was a good idea to not check blogs for a bit! I enjoy catching up on everyones blog. I don't know you very well Buttons, but what time I spent with you, I know you loved your mother very much. I love the picture of your mother, she loved you too. I can tell how great she was because you only had her for 7 years and you are a fantastic mother and grandmother.
I can't imagine losing my mother. My mother is my best friend and I look to her constantly. She is now Cancer free and she better not get sick again for a LONG time.
Tori, I love this blog. You do have a special mom who is especially groovy :o) She has always just been so genuine and loving and has made a lasting impact on me and you know what? You're the same. This is a great tribute to her and your little Taylor who is adorable.
Misty
Hi Tori,
This is Robyn (your 2nd cousin or something along those lines -- I always forget the technical name for how we are related). Thanks for your thoughts and insights. I'm not getting along with my Mom too well these days & in some ways it has felt like I have lost her. Reading your post has give me a little bit of perspective. I am glad that you have such a great example of a Mom to look up to. I really enjoy reading your blog (hopefully you don't mind).
Post a Comment