Saturday, July 24, 2010

Letter to my Mom

Dear Mom,

I just wanted to write you a letter saying thank you for being my Mom and doing such an exceptional job. I am coming to the realization of what it truly means when people say being a mother is a "thank-less" job. I want to say thank you.

Thank you for cooking us meals every night even though I probably very rarely uttered any words of gratitude. Thank you for making sure we had nice, clean clothes to put on every day, even though I would drag my feet when you asked me to put my clothes away after they were washed and folded. Thank you for keeping a nice, clean home for me to feel cozy and safe in.

Thank you for taking the time to make after school treats, even though I usually scarfed it down then ran off to play. Thank you for making peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and kool-aid and bringing it out to us to eat under the trampoline on a hot day. I now know exactly why we ate outside and not inside, but thank you for making us lunch.

Thank you for loving my Dad and never fighting in front of me, even though I am sure that there were days you wanted to rip his face off. I know that parents have their disagreements, but I never saw you guys fight or argue---not once. Our little family always felt so secure to me. Thank you for kissing and hugging Dad in front of me. It grossed me out at the time, but I know that it was good for me to see you two show affection to each other.

Thank you for letting me hate you when I was a teenager. I know it might have been easier to be my 'friend' and not my parent. Now I appreciate it. Thank you for always wanting to know where I was going and who I was going to be with, and saying no if you were not comfortable.

Thank you for being there during my struggles as an adult. I really, really, really hope that life does not throw me anymore curve balls, but I know that you are in my corner if it does. Thank you for loving me, even when I was doing unloveable things. Thank you for helping Dad see the "gray" parts of life. Thank you for listening to me rant and rave when life does get overwhelming for me and I need to vent.

Mom, you are my best friend and I appreciate everything that you have done, are doing, and will do for me. You are the perfect mom for me--in all your own ways. You have 3 very different kids, but I know that we all feel the same way about you.

So, as I cook dinner, do laundry, clean the house, help with homework, and I do not hear a thank you from my kids, I am thinking of you and that you never heard thank you either. It makes me feel a bit more normal, thinking that maybe you had days that you wanted to give up and stop "doing" for us.

I hope you know how appreciative and full of gratitude I am. I was thankful then to, I just didn't know how important it was to tell you.

Thanks Mom!

Love,

TORI

3 comments:

mom said...

Oh Tori,,,You make me sound wayyy too good,,,I just did what any mom does, and what your doing now.
I truly beleive raising kids is the hardest job there is,,,,but look at the rewards,,,3 of the most awesome,fantastic people I know.
There are times now when I wish I could go back,,,have more patience, play more,, but we cannot do that.
Thank you for the kind words, and just remember,,when your kids grow up, and get their own families, you will probably hear the same thing you just told me
love you,
mom

Anonymous said...

sniff sniff
sniff

ditto mom, but add in there washing my stinking volleyball kneepads at the drop of the hat - 10:00 pm the night before a road game


Rachel

mom said...

Giggles @ Rach...and those dang knee pads.
Love you.....
And Glen if you read this,,,,,I love you too.