Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Joys of Parenting

Aaahhh Parenting..........so fun..........especially at 5:00 am. So here is the story... Jared and I were awake having a conversation in the garage, we were out there so we wouldn't wake up Taylor, cause there were times that we used our OUT LOUD voices. Anyway, so I here a faint, Mommy coming from the house. Jared, of course, thinks that I am making it up to end the conversation. I open the door and I hear Mommy again. First off, her calling me Mom or Mommy has only been going on for about 3 weeks. Plus that fact that she is calling for me in the middle of the night--a little ego booster if I must say so myself! So I run up the stairs in my beautiful purple robe and she is sitting up in bed, crying cause she had a bad dream---about scorpions. I have no idea where the scorpions came from-who knows. I try to make her feel better and love her. She tells me that she wants to sleep in "mom and dads" bed. I told her that actually we are not in the bed so that's not gonna work, I told her we were outside. So she says that she wants to come outside with us. I gently told her no, that we were having adult conversation and she couldn't come. Huge alligator tears, streaming down her face cause she can't come outside with me and her dad. So I lay down by her, my first wrong move was to lay between her and the wall.
So she cuddles up next to me so close that I can't breath, and she has a death grip--full on white knuckles grip on the collar of my robe. So I lay for awhile--totally bored staring at the ceiling. I think that I hear the deep breathing of sleep, so I barely move my arm, the collar grip gets tightened and now her hair is successfully going up my nose with each breath. I decide that if I am ever going to get out of there, I have got to get on the other side of her, but then considering the conversation Jared and I were having it might have been nice to sleep in a tiny bed with 6 year old elbows and knees and hair going up my nose while being strangled by the collar of my robe.
I climb over her and lay on the other side so eventually I can get away. As I make my way she cries out no, mommy don't leave, and her little lip started to quiver, talk about break my heart. So I assure her that I am not going anywhere and settle in, hanging halfway off. After what felt like forever, I make sure that I finally hear the real heaving breaths of sleeping and I listened to them forever, I slowly moved one leg off the bed, wait several minutes...move the other halfway of the bed so I am haphazardly hanging off her bed....grab her teddy bear and gently shove it between us so she thinks her death grip on the bear is me......wait a minute--no movement...move an arm...wait....by now my legs have almost fallen asleep and I almost fall to the floor trying to get the rest of my body off the bed. I stand up, she is still asleep and I make a run for it! Score!!! I got out of there. By now it is about 6:45--7:00. Jared and I talk a little bit more because he didn't go to sleep... then finally fall asleep.
Next thing I hear, "Mommy, Mommy" I look at the clock it's 8:00 I stumble into her room eyes half closed and she precedes to tell me her bug bite itches! I calmly got the anti-itch cream and gently put it on her .... I knew my sleep was screwed, once that girl is up there is no turning back!!!
I love being a Mom!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhh, Your story makes me go ahhhhhhh.
Its cool that she calls you mommy,,,,,, that is so sweet,,and sometimes only mommy can chase away the bad dreams.
Your story of you on the bed had me giggling, as i got the mental pic,,but it also was such a tender story,,,,,, Ahhhhhhh, Motherhood!

Rachel said...

Tori Tori Tori
You, my dear are learning the fine art of "children sleeping sneaking." You are doing well. It is a good thing you realized your first mistake, ALWAYS LAY DOWN ON THE OUTSIDE, NOT BY THE WALL. That is the first sleeping sneaking rule. The 2nd rule is NEVER, EVER UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE PUT YOUR ARM, LEG, ETC UNDER THEIR BODY. This one is harder, because they want you to love them with your arms around their body, refrain from this. Or, if you are Kendal's mom, sometimes this is the only way to restrain her and keep her in one place so she will go to sleep!
That brings us to rule #3, ALWAYS KEEP THEIR FACE IN EYE CONTACT WITH YOURS. Even if you think they are asleep by using the 'deep breathing clue', they usually are not. Place your head strategically somewhere that you can see their face, especially the eyes. This is very important because it leads us to Rule #4, the escape.
Rule # 4 of children sleeping sneaking states that YOU SHOULD ALWAYS KEEP A PILLOW, TEDDY BEAR (good job by the way), BLANKET, ETC WITHIN HANDS REACH FOR THE 'FAKE MOTHER PROP.' You have done well with this rule also, I congratulate you. As you begin your escape, one body part at a time, use the 'fake mother prop' to keep the warmth, security, and love you have so far provided for them.
If you keep these 4 rules in mind, you will be grateful and blessed because you get MOMMY TIME now!! Oh, one last comment, if you have a noisy door like we do, DON'T CLOSE IT ALL THE WAY ON THE WAY IN, IT COULD TOTALLY BLOW YOUR ESCAPE IF YOU HAVE TO OPEN IT TO GET OUT!!

Tori, I am proud of you, you have joined the army of mothers and that is no easy task. I planned on giving you this talk when you had children of your own. How inconsiderate of me to have not done so before now. I didn't think you would need it with Taylor. Please accept my apologies.

Anonymous said...

There is no way that I would ever dare close her door or our door--she would freak out when she woke up. Which not closing the door is very hard for me cause her night light is about the brightness of the spotlight on a cop car when you get pulled over and I have to sleep in total darkness.
Taylor is not a great sleeper--queen of bad dreams--plus she wiggles alot. When we were camping she fell of the top bunk onto Jared, not once, but twice. I thought she was old enough to take down the little bumper gate. The funny thing is Jared had no idea that she fell-his huge grunt when she landed didn't wake him up, she slept most of the night ON us, at one point my thigh was her pillow.

Anonymous said...

Your learnin, girls, your learnin!
Some things can only be tuahgt(learned) thru experience.
And your both doing a fantastic job. So fantastic that i can call you "super-fragilistic-xpealidoucios"
No rolling of the eyes now,,,,,, LOL

Anonymous said...

spell check,,,,, make that taught!

Rachel said...

Mom, you crack me up, and I did not roll my eyes, although I would have when I was 14.
I can not believe you have such deep sleepers! Not waking up when 40 pounds hits you is amazing!
How do you know how bright a cop car's spotlight is anyway?

Anonymous said...

Rach--apparently you have never been pulled over at night. It does not take extuniating circumstances for them to turn on their spotlight--other than night. I am completely innocent-you all know that!

Rachel said...

I have been pulled over once at night. Just east of Torrey, coming home from waiting tables. It was Don Torgerson. Now that I think about it, there was ALOT of light!!

Anonymous said...

That is soooooo precious! It's amazing what a sad cry and real tears can do to a Mom. That must feel so good for her to want you and call you Mom!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tori, So I do agree with the 4 Rachel Rules of sneaking sleeping, but I'm wondering why you didn't just curl up and go to sleep with her? That sounds so much funner to me than finishing a heated conversation with the hubby. I'd rather have the cuddles and loves of a sleeping baby than the snarls and arguments of a husband...I could be wrong, but maybe we need to make up some "fighting sneaking" escape rules for us to get out of the line of fire? What do you think about that :o)