Monday, August 25, 2008

Family Reunion

We had our family reunion for Jareds family. We all just pulled our camp trailers down to his mom and dads and camped in the pasture. Nothing like gas prices running your life! But we had tons of fun! I didn't take lots of pictures, but here are some of the highlight of the weekend. The family spent alot of time out on the lake in our boat and Jason's boat, and I didn't go much because of work and the baby.
This is a few of the trailers in the field. Another trailer and a coach showed up after I took this picture. Jareds dad has a fire pit out there so we had a good time in the evenings.

Ok, for the highlight........
Jason and Brenda were in charge of dinner one night so they got crawdads flown in from Louisiana and we had a crawdad boil! In the pot was: corn on the cob, potatoes, mushrooms, sausage and whole crawdads. We had 2 normal pots and 2 spicy pots, with the cajun spices.

So after they are cooked, you just dump them out on a table, everyone puts on their bibs and you start eating. When you eat the ugly little creatures, you twist off their tail, throw away the top half (head, eyeballs, antennas, clampers, grody stuff). Then you grab the tail and de-shell it like a lobster, so in Tori terms--rip the teensy little morsel of meat out of its hard carcass, which has gross legs attached, then pull out the vein thing--"poop pipe" and then eat it!

Surprisingly, it's pretty good!
The kids all had to eat at least one to get a Mardi Gras necklace. I was quite surprised that Taylor ate one--amazing what kids will do for a 10 cent necklace!
When you are done you just throw the "remains" in the pots. I had to take a picture of my feet to prove that I was there. (Jared forgets that cameras exist)
So that was the highlight meal of the family reunion! We also had tons of fun boating, stuffing ourselves with roasted Twinkies and marshmallows, sitting around talking, and spending time with family. I really do have great in-laws.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

I am covering my mouth and swallowing my breakfast back down. YUCK the poop thing and the legs, YUCK!
HOWEVER Twinkies and Marshmallow and talking some of my favorite things to do.

Anonymous said...

You are a brave girl. I guess I would have tried it too, but gads you make is sound so, so, so yucky! The corn on the cob looks great! Does it take on a fishy taste when boiled with them?

Rachel

Anonymous said...

Rach-
No, all the veggies and stuff were just a little spicy due to the cajun spices put in. I didn't try any from the non-spicy pots though.