Thursday, September 10, 2009

Domesticated

So, I have over 400 pictures on my new fancy camera that I soooo need to show everyone but......

I have been trying my hand at being a domestic goddess.

Yep, that's right! I know what you are thinking... domestic and Tori doesn't go together, but I promise that I have a little of it running through my veins.

While I was at my mom's, I went to my cousins house and picked a 5 gallon bucket of pears and a 5 gallon bucket of apples, plus my garden has tons of tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, and squash--so I am trying to get it all in jars.

I have been shredding zucchini to freeze for zucchini bread, I sliced and froze green peppers, I have made pear jam, which I have never had but I think it will be quite tasty. I have also made spiced apple-pear jam. I thought that was a great infusion of both items picked over the weekend.

Tonight on the agenda is another batch of pear jam and some apple maple jam. Doesn't that sound good?

And, I have a hankering to buy peaches!!!

So, there ya have it! I am a domestic goddess!!

Sure, my bathroom needs cleaning and laundry is piling up, but fruit and veggies don't keep. I may not have clean underwear, but I have yummy jam!!

If anyone is feeling at all like putting things in jars I highly recommend buying yourself a Ball Blue Book of canning. You can get it at Walmart in the canning goods section. It is the bible of processing foods!!

7 comments:

katherine said...

i was just thinking last night, Tori has not posted forever! and i now know why, canning. way to go. i need to do that! maybe i will have to pick up that book!! thanks for the info!!!

Talbots said...

I am not surprised, you are rleated to Rachel and she is a domestic goddess. Way to go! You will really think your hard work paid off in February and you are still enjoying the fruits of your labor!!!

Diantha said...

Try the pickled zucchini on pg. 55. It tastes alot like sweet pickles.

mom said...

I never would have thunk it,,,(love that word, thunk)anyway,,,, Way to go Tori.
I am proud of your domestic abilities,,,,I seem to have lost mine.

mom said...

Actually I would have "thunk" it,,,,You just took a couple of yrs off, but look at you go now. Yyayayaya!

Anonymous said...

We did the tomatoe thing this last weekend and let me tell you homeade spagetti sauce is to die for. I'm impressed with your ambition I only wish I was there with you to help. I think it's a ton of work, but can also be a ton of fun with laughter, diet coke, and chatting. You go girl! Just be prepared for the dang knot in your back from all that peeling and standing wrong (i'm feelin' it)but it's worth it. Misty

Anonymous said...

I have no desire to go pick the rest of my green beans, or dig the rest of my carrots because that means I have to put them in jars. I am done with jars for the season. I am eating my 5 gallon of pears raw and loving them. I think you took my domestic goddess desire from me. Thanks, it leaves more time for sewing!!

Rachel