Wednesday, January 20, 2010

No Girls Allowed!!!

Today I had to go buy some things for the doctor that I work for. My schedule is pretty light so I was chosen to be the run-errand girl today. I was sent after some sort of valve and a 15 gallon jug of propylene glycol.

Sounds easy enough right.

I found the store easy enough, thanks Mapquest. It was in the Industrial Hell part of Orem, ya know, one of those wholesale-contractor-warehousey places.

I had to call Jared, to even see which door to go in. There were lots of doors, and most of them big enough to drive a semi through. I picked one, and the ladies at the officey part (yes, I picked the wrong door) pointed me in the right direction.

I got back the counter area, and as I opened the door a hush came over the warehouse. I felt like a cowboy walking into a gay bar! They wanted to look, but was a little apprehensive of what I could possibly be doing there.

I stood there, til one of the workers looked passed me hollering, "Who's next?". I stepped up the desk and acted like I knew what I was asking for, as I read it off my paper that included a spectacular drawing of the valve from the doc. He got me the valve and told me to go next door for the propylene glycol.

I cracked a few jokes, and got him to smile, but the rest of the staff/patrons were still eyeing me over like I was an alien.

In those situations should I grab my crotch and pretend to rearrange something that's not really there and spit on the floor, like most men do?

I got outta there and headed to the propylene store.

Once again, I had no freaking idea which door to enter the building. They really should post better signage.

I am pretty sure I entered the wrong door once again, and a hush came over the store as I walked in.

Do these men not know how to deal with someone with boobs and a who-ha during working hours?

But then, I proceeded to make a GIANT, and I mean GIANT fool out of myself....

I confidently walked up the desk, to the nice Spanish gentleman that just finished helping a customer and politely asked for 15 gallons of "pet-safe" propylene glycol.

He laughed at me, and in his accent, told me that I was on the wrong side of the desk....

Could I not have turned invisible in that second and ran out the door?? Or maybe a truck come flying through the window to cause a diversion from the spectacle of me??

That's right.... I confidently walked up the desk, on the wrong side, and politely asked their most recent customer for a 15 gallon of crap for the guy I work for!!!

Yeah, all the "good ole boys" in there and the workers started giggling and snickering.

I held myself together and told them all that I do not venture into the manly side of shopping and they would feel lost if they were sent into a fabric/craft store.

I managed to sneak out a few more jokes making fun of myself to save face, and got the giant jug of blue crap and got the hell outta there.

The nice worker-guy brought it out to my truck to load it for me, since it weighs about 120 lbs. He went to put it in the bed of the truck, til he saw all the manly stuff in there. Everyday, I haul around shovels, fence posts, and barbed wire in the back of my truck.....that's completely normal to me. So he spouts off with a giggle, "so you doing some ranching later?"

You know buddy, put the jug in my passenger seat and go in and make fun of me with your boys.

I miss the days of home (Wayne County/Gods Country) where I could walk into the hardware store and tell Mitch Pace that my dad sent me for something and he would know exactly what I was talking about, find it for me, while gabbing away, put in on my dads account and away I would go.

6 comments:

Kate said...

Well at least you were confident enough to do it in the first place! Lots of women would have gotten to the giant store with a million unfriendly doors and just panicked and left.

Or you could avoid that situation comepletely by going back to Wayne...its way more fun there anyhow. :)

mom said...

I know the feeling, atleast I can go over to Mitch's, and they know, that I know nothing about manly stuff,,,but they kindly and gladly help me, as I am sure they do with lots of females around here.
But when Marion sends me out of town to some tractor store, and I go in ask for some part that I can't even pronounce, they ALWAYS ask me some question that I cannot answer. (I think they enjoy this), so I do feel for ya today. Tell Mr. Doc to send a male next time.

Julie L said...

Send the male next time? Cute. Since we only have one guy working there besides the doc and he's only part-time, we ladies do end up getting stuck with all the crazy guy stuff, don't we? Thank heavens there are a few nice men out there who are still willing to hoist a heavy something to help out. And thank heavens you have a terrific sense of humor to be willing to write about it. Loved the story!

Unknown said...

I totally agree. I went yesterday to get a new headlight because I was tired of waiting for my "man" to fix it for me. After the counter guy told me exactly what to do with it, so I could tell the man, I told him that I was going to do it myself, and his mouth literally dropped open. He couldn't speak for at least 10 seconds. And then he kept saying really? really?

Rachel said...

good thing you are so cute . . .and funny! Imagine how horrible it would have been for some ladies we know!

good ol' Mitch!

Sarah said...

I agree with you on the small town part... I miss going into the feed store or anywhere, being the only girl and getting special attention for asking for that "thing-y for the tractor" and them knowing exactly what i wanted. Most of the time they even let me cut in line! Also, putting it on Daddy's tab was nice!