Monday, November 24, 2008

The Forgotten Holiday

Why is Thanksgiving forgotten?

Why does Christmas have to last from Oct 29th to Jan 15th?

Really, it's true.

Thanksgiving is the forgotten holiday. Before the stores are done selling scary masks, pumpkins, and mass amounts of candy it looks like Santa puked all over the place.

When I am shopping for face paint and vampire fangs I do not want to see a 4 foot tall nutcracker on display.

Poor, poor Thanksgiving. I still love you, turkey dinner.

This subject is one of my pet peeves.

I hate driving around this time of year and seeing Christmas lights turned on all over my neighborhood. Giant blow up snowmen, and lighted deer that look like they are grazing on the lawn.

It brings out my mischevious side.

I want, but have never done--cause my better judgment tell me not to-- do some funny/mean things.

I would love to take out a light bulb in the middle of the strand of lights, so they won't work and it takes forever for the homeowners to find the problem. I don't think this tactic works on the newer light strands, don't they make them so they will still work even if it is missing a light bulb?

But there is an answer to that problem. I need practice with Taylors new BB gun. I can hear the sweet sound of tiny little light bulbs breaking now. Problem is, I am really not that good of a shot, and would, most likely, take out window. That is not my intention.

I understand that people may hang their lights while it is still warm, and before the hustle bustle of the holidays start, but please please don't turn them on until you have had your post turkey nap.

Oh, now for those lighted deer that are grazing on the lawn. I would LOVE to arrange them in sexual positions. Usually, the deer are in various stances. One has her head down eating, another has his head up looking around, sometimes you can find a nice buck in a jumping postion. Yeah, perfect! Such a fun game. Pissing off your neighbors by making a virtual porn on their front lawn every night.

Another good one, nonsexual, would be to hang it from a tree, like a buck that has been shot on the hunt. Maybe next year, they will keep them in the garage until it is actually Christmas!

Christmas music on the radio. Eewww. Bugs me. Just get done jamming out to 'Monster Mash' and then 'Deck the Halls' comes blaring on. Totally ruins the moment. Can we keep the Christmas Carols on the downlow until we are waiting in line for the door buster shopping on Friday?

One more thing, Christmas is over on December 25th. Yeah, its done.

No more pretty presents to look at.

Take your tree out!

It doesn't need to be in until the Superbowl.

If Christmas trees were the same as when I was a kid, as in REAL, no one would have their tree in that long because their house would burn down!

Maybe I am this way, due to my mother--love you mom.

At my house growing up, the tree went in about December 20th, and it was out before I woke up on the 26th. For those 6 days of pine-y freshness, my sweet mom hovered around that tree with her vacuum. Just waiting for a needle to drop so she could suck it up. There was an upside to her ADD needle sucking, the vacuum smelled like a wreath for about a month after. Any vacuuming that happened after that, the smell of pine would permeate the house.

I beg you please, enjoy your giant turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, and pie. Give thanks for what you have. It should not be treated like a pregame show for Santa.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, I sooooooo agree with you,,, I saw a all decorated tree in someones house the other day, and i just said "OH MY HELL".
And just to defend myself, there is nothing quite as ugly as the tree the day after Christmas,,,Call me a scrouge, but damn, I raised Tori right!!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Tori, I really want to see you arrange the the lighted lawn-dear mating prank. It would be soooo cool! I dare you to do it then post a picture on the blog...it would be sooo great! I dare you; I double-dog dare you!

Family of ARTISTS said...

You couldn't have said it any better. I agree 100%. As for the Deer mating somebody actually did that to someones here in Richfield a few years back. Soo Happy Turkey day. Long live the Turkey Day!!

Krista said...

I agree with you. I'm sad that Thanksgiving isn't celebrated more. We put up our Christmas lights on Saturday, due to the good weather, but we have not turned them on and they will not be turned on until Friday, the day after Thanksgiving. I hope that you have a great day!

Jenny said...

I agree, we should all celebrate thanksgiving and make it extra special when it lands on the 27th of November. I hate to say it, but we have our Christmas lights up. They are not on just up. Of course they were up in July as well.
I can see and smell the vacuume in your mom's house. You got to love buttons!
I am sad, it looks like this year it will be me and the four kids for Thanksgiving. I hate not being around family, I am such a people person. I have no idea what I am going to do. DO you make a full on Thanksgiving Turkey for a 6,4,3, and 4 month old ON A VERY SPECIAL DAY LIKE MY BIRTHDAY! Okay I am over it. Yeah for Thanksgiving.

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more!! I do have my lights up, but they WILL NOT be on until Dec 1st at least (I like the lower bill anyway). And as for the deer, maybe we could take them the same surprise we got when we were in college from the Snow boys. I am sure the lite deer would happily pile back into the garage if they knew what could happen to them hanging out too close to the road :o)

Misty

Rachel said...

I am laughing at the image of mom crouching around the tree with her vacuum wand end waiting to suck up THE fallen needle. It is so true, and I have inherited this wonderful quality from her. I vacuum at least twice a day when our tree is in, which is not usually until Dec 10th or so. Mom, you did raise us right!

I went into Checker Auto about 8 days ago and there was Christmas music playing. I said to the big burly "manager" working there "why in the world do you have Christmas music on already?" He said "I like it." That conversation was over.

As for the deer, the Proctors have a few of those, come over and we will take that picture for LeEllen together!

Anonymous said...

Laugh it up girls,,,BUT the apple does not fall far from the tree.
HIP HIP HOORAY FOR US!AND OUR VACCUMS.