This really isn't uplifting or funny or anything, but sometimes people irritate me, so I need to vent about it.
I recently was stuck in a situation of making chatty small talk with someone that I don't know very well.
It medium sucked.
Isn't there a rule somewhere about not talking about politics and religion and such things when you don't know someone very well?
The conversation started with easy topics like driving, and baby stuff, and kids stuff. Then it went a little political/religious at the same time.
I was irritated because I hate that people assume that because I live in Utah, Utah County to boot, that I MUST have the same ideas and values of every other 10%er here and that I am a staunch Republican. (I do favor that side, but don't assume that.)
Topics such as drinking, Prop 8, gay/lesbian people, church values, blah blah BLAH was brought up. She thought that, of course, I must agree with her because I live where I do and I guess, I portray that same image.
She is not the only person that has done this to me. It makes me feel suffocated because usually in those conversations there is no room for MY opinion or beliefs. I don't mind having debating types of conversations where both parties opinions are heard and respected. You know, an 'agree to disagree agreement', but that its fun to hash things out. That is ok to me.
I am not going to spill all my opinions and beliefs in this post, but I wish people would think before they speak and realize that they could offend someone that they don't know very well just by running their mouth about stuff.
Maybe she didn't care if she offended me. Maybe I should have expressed my opinions more, but if anyone knows me, I hate confrontation of any kind, and she was a very overbearing person.
I think that in this very Mormon/Republican state too many people assume that everyone thinks and lives the very same and we are all cookie cutter images of each other.
No, I don't want to be in the cookie jar.
Let me have my own thoughts and beliefs. You don't have to agree with me, but please respect that I may think differently than you, and it's ok....
Monday, January 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I LOVE oatmeal cookies.
I love you for what you believe also!
I Love Chocolate chip cookies, Luck for mr they don't last long enough to end up in the "cookie jar"
Very well said Tori! I completly agree. I was against Prop 8 and I voted for Obama...I even had an Obama sign in my yard and got slack for it...a lot of slack:) Ten years ago I used to be the ignorant one from out of state that assumed everyone was LDS somehow and about drove off the road when I saw my first person smoking in Prove on University, lol. Not that I cared, I was shocked just assumed it was a smoke free state, haha! But as I have loosened up and relaxed more I am on the other end thinking like you and are seriously irritated when people "assume" my beliefs and my opinion. If anything, it makes me want to express my opinion more to let them have a little reality check and every once and awhile for "Shock and Ahh". It's good for those self righteous staunch Mormons, LOL! BTW-I am LDS if anyone was offended:)
And I too sooooooo agree, If I get started here, I won't quit,,,, so I will just say,,,,, "You go girl".
Well, I think you should've taken the sugar out of her cookie and let her know what you thought. She may have actually learned something from you. Regardless of our beliefs, it's how we act in the daylight to and in front of people and God that really counts. Many profess to be many things they are not! Take a stand, be respectful, and walk away from those who don't deserve your time... it puzzles them and makes them wonder what the???..?.
Post a Comment