
In Hawaii, taro (kalo) is a vital part of the cultural and agricultural traditions of the Hawaiian people. Prior to western contact, when the population of Hawaii consisted exclusively of Hawaiians, taro was the major food staple. There were more than 300 recognized forms. Today, although taro shares its role as a staple with rice, potatoes, pasta, and bread, it remains an important crop to the many cultures of Hawaii. Its starchy corm, or underground stem, is eaten principally as poi, prepared by mashing the cooked corm. Its steamed leaves (lu‘au) and flowers (pua) can be eaten alone, but are generally used in dishes with meats, fish, coconut milk, and other vegetables. I did try poi at the luau that we went to. I was not too impressed. They told us to put some salmon stuff on it (looked like salsa with salmon in it). I don't think the salmon was cooked, and I do not do raw fish. It was pretty strong.
I then tried the poi by itself and on my kalua pork. I would compare it to eating elmers glue. But, it would do in a pinch.



2 comments:
Mmmm there's that "g" word again. (Green) Beautiful pictures! Everyone I've ever talked to who has had the great opportunity to eat Poi (opportunity because they had to be in Hawaii to experience it), has said they didn't care for it. Still, I'd like the chance to try.
LOL @ elmers glue,,,the pics are awesome tho.
Post a Comment