Yesterday Brogan had his first trip the ER. Here is how it went down....
We were eating breakfast and he was being kinda whiney, I picked him up and he was rubbing his eye. I noticed blood on his hand, then turned him to see his face. There was blood coming out of his eye. Bright red blood and kind of alot. I told Jared, and both our hearts started racing.
We were trying to figure what was going on. He had bonked his head earlier, but it wasn't that bad. He had dropped a glass jar on the tile the night before and it had shattered. We thought maybe I didn't clean the glass up good enough and he got some in his eye.
I hadn't showered yet and Taylor was still in her PJ's too. I told her to run upstairs and put some clothes on--we were going to the doctor. I ran up and through some clothes on and washed my face. Meanwhile, Jared had Brogan and he started bleeding from his nose, on the same side as his bloody eye. Freak out moment!!!
We grabbed the diaper bag and were on our way. Brogan was not crying at all. He just kept pointing to his eye, because I told him not to touch it, afraid there was glass in it.
We get to the ER and check in. Luckily, I knew half the people there and the doctor that saw us. It was kinda like a small reunion of sorts. Taylor and I both looked like orphans. My hair was pulled up and outta control, hers was total bed head. She had a dried milk mustache on her face, since we were in the middle of breakfast when this all went down. I can only imagine what the people in the waiting room were thinking.
I was very glad that the doctor that was on was one that I trusted and I knew he would be good to Brogan. I explained to him what was going on. He was so gentle with Brogan and explained everything to him. Of course Brogan nodded yes to everything like he does. The doctor looked up his nose and checked his eyes, Brogan didn't cry once. He got a pouty face a few times, but never cried.
He wasn't bleeding too much anymore, but if you pulled his lower lid down, you could see blood pooled in his eye. The doctor told me that he had some congestion and most likely a sinus infection. He explained that how your eye juice can go into your tear duct and make your nose run, but that it can go backwards too. So Brogans yucky from his nose and sinus was draining into his eye, and that he had some bleeding in his sinuses from the infection.
He told me that it should go away in 24 to 36 hours and that I could give him Benadryl for the congestion, but other that he is fine.
I medium felt a little hypochondriac. I go from thinking my child is going to be blind in one eye, or possible having a brain hemorrhage, to a sinus infection/congestion. I am very thankful that it was just an infection.
We were in and out of there in about 30 minutes, I got to catch up with some old friends, and my son is perfectly okay. So I guess it was a good trip to the ER, if there is such a thing.
Brogan has been fine and not much blood since. He has had a few boogery--goobers in his eye, but all is well. Jared and I are recuperating from our high blood pressure, racing heart beat, and near cardiac arrest over the incident!!
Paul and Tamara
13 years ago


4 comments:
So Scary!! I am glad he is okay!
I certainly would have raced to the ER, too. What a frightening experience! I, too, am glad he's doing ok.
Freaky! I'm glad he's ok!
Just reading about it sent my pulse racing....I can imagine it was 10,000 times worse for ya'll! Poor little guy, sinus infections are the total pits!
Post a Comment